[NTLK] Cadillac prototype (Matthias Melcher)
Matthias Melcher
m.melcher at robowerk.de
Fri Sep 18 14:41:30 PDT 2026
> On 18. Sep 2026, at 21:23, Justin Ried <justin at ried.us> wrote:
> The short, approximately half-height PCMCIA expansion slots under the battery pack are labeled RAM (expansion?) and ROM. The ROM slot is populated, while the RAM slot is not. The ROM card is also labeled with dates, updated on 4/13/93 according to the handwriting on it. This likely indicates the unit was running and updated close to the end of the Cadillac project.
>
> Yes, the yellow round connector is for video. All ports on the back of the machine are labeled in the plastic body, though it is difficult to see in the clear plastic. This gallery on Flickr shows all of the same port labels more clearly:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/splorp/albums/72157623287193080/
Ah, great link.
> Hammer is certainly an interesting thought. I do wonder if it has any ability to connect to this unit?
Looking at the picture by Sonny Hung, NewtonOS did not make it to the prototype. The pictures look very much like a pure hardware demo, testing the pen input. Hammer is very likely not an option.
For released devices, Hemmer requires that the user installs a package on the machine first that includes the local debugger interface. I forgot about that.
I know that the ROM contains direct serial port output for debugging, but I do not remeber how to activate that.
More information about the NewtonTalk
mailing list