[NTLK] Simulating the Newton: new version!

Daniel Parnell me at danielparnell.com
Thu Oct 1 05:36:29 PDT 2026


I have pushed to github here: dparnell/newton-re: Reverse Engineering 
the Newton 2x00 ROM <https://github.com/dparnell/newton-re>

Currently it is running under 64 bit windows. I got it to start at the 
bottom and get the OS600 kernel working first with the end goal of 
re-targeting it to run on top of any other OS. I got it to also run on 
my Linux laptop and have not yet looked at making something for MacOS, 
but I suspect this would not be too difficult for Claude to whip up.

It has re-created most of the ROM and added in some things like the 
things that NIE needs to work using the host OS network stack. It has 
bundled the NIE packages into its own base ROM now so a clean install 
starts with internet support.

Today for some reason Claude decided it wanted to add printing support, 
so now it can print to any postcript or HP printer that has an IPP 
interface.

Currently at the moment it is still running 32 bit NewtonScript, but I 
think I will see if I can get Claude to migrate it to 64 bit. That was 
one of the things I have been thinking about.

As for SDL, no it is running using the native Windows API and X11 on Linux.

The MMU stuff has not been an issue as this is all handled by the host code.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the way it has come together. The next 
step is to get it compiled and running on my Remarkable Paper Pro ;)

On 1/10/2026 10:25 pm, Matthias Melcher wrote:
>
>> On 1. Oct 2026, at 09:33, Daniel Parnell<me at danielparnell.com> wrote:
>>
>> Claude seems to be happily generating NewtonScript right now.
> I saw that too. In my project, it has started writing parts of the app in NewtonScript, just like that.
>
> Daniel, you said you have NewtonOS running on your desktop machine. Could you go into more details?
>
> Do you run native code, or are you interpreting the original ARM32 code?
>
> How do you get the pixels out and the events in? Are you building on top of SDL?
>
> How did the jump from 32 bit to 64 bit go?Did Claude manage all that for you?
>
> Are you running the NewtonScript Object System in 32bit or 64bit?
>
> Did you come across issues where the Newton expects to use the CPU's MMU to intentionally trigger memory faults?
>
> And a million more questions.
>
>
>   - Matthias
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> https://newtontalk.net
> https://bitbang.social/@newtontalk
> https://bsky.app/profile/newtontalk.bsky.social


More information about the NewtonTalk mailing list