[NTLK] Newton on Linux update

Tom tom+newtontalk at falkensweb.com
Sun May 5 08:39:38 PDT 2024

I've put aside trying to make a Windows 9x virtual machine for now. Windows 3.1 with FTP is probably fine for "let me make a backup and browse it". I've submitted by page and the image to Archive.org in case it goes away : https://rachaelandtom.info/content/newton-windows-linux[1]

I've had no luck contacting anyone about reviving what seemed the most mature native program : https://newtonlink.sourceforge.net/[2]
I've hard forked it, and added enough changes to get it starting and talking to my MessagePad (NewtonOS 1.x) : https://codeberg.org/falken/newtonlink-ng[3]

It doesn't really help, as all it's exports are too old to work well.

So my current thinking is write my own Outbox reader, for either or both of Fax and Print. I think Sloup supports a full text and ink dump from at least one of these, as well as setting the status to "done".
I could do this in a modern easily portable language like Node, and anyone  would would then have Outbox -> Sloup -> images+text files via something like https://github.com/nexe/nexe[4]

BUT sometime earlier this year https://communicrossings.com/html/newton/sloup.htm[5] stop working for me, and what's available in Archive.org isn't much help, so I'm digging around with a Soup Explorer trying to understand the formats.

I don't suppose anyone has ever written up or knows how Sloup's Outbox integration works e.g. How to understand the dumps ?
--
Tom
MessagePad 110 owner and, in case it's not obvious, geek.

--------
[1] https://rachaelandtom.info/content/newton-windows-linux
[2] https://newtonlink.sourceforge.net/
[3] https://codeberg.org/falken/newtonlink-ng