[NTLK] New-to-me Newton 2100

Stephen Pereira stephen.m.pereira.sr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 10:18:42 PDT 2024

Good afternoon folks,

I have not been here is quite a while.  Thanks for having me back.

I just picked up a Newton 2000 with the MP2100 upgrade installed for $50 on eBay.  Of course, in order to get that price, it came with no stylus, no power pack, no AA battery tray, no dongle, no PC card slot covers, and a dead rechargeable battery pack.  It did come with a nice sticky surface.  8-)

The good news is that I plugged in my power pack and it came right up.

I see on eBay that there is someone selling two styli for $40:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155567133506
and I also see there is someone offering a rechargeable battery pack for $107.08 plus $12.98 shipping from Europe.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/315252910727

WHEW!   Before I start spending the rest of my life savings on this project, does anyone have any pointers to places to purchase spare parts for less than a King’s Ransom?

My goal is to get NS BASIC running on this Newton.  Any hints or tips about that?

In the meantime, I will be running this one through its paces on the power pack alone.  Any issues with that?  Leave the dead rechargeable pack in or take it out?

Thanks very much for listening!  I look forward to any advice you might have to offer.

smp
- - -
Stephen Pereira
Bedford, NH  03110