[NTLK] Newton Fax Modem PCMCIA Card for sale?

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Mon Jul 8 11:26:47 PDT 2024

Found a photo of the back of one on the 'gram:
https://www.instagram.com/furui_ringo/p/CI1ctLGARI7/?img_index=3

Looked up the FCC part 15 ID number, which is F2M4NGMHZAN124F. The only
interesting information from the FCC is that the application for
authorization was filed on Dec 3, 1993 and granted a few months later.

The F2M prefix is assigned to U.S. Robotics.  So it looks to be a
third-party card made by USR, but Apple branded.

Funny enough, if you parse the ID number and make some inferences, and
squint your eyes in just the right way, you can just about decode the
numbering scheme as:

  * F2M - US Robotics grantee code
  * 4NG - ???
  * MHZ - abbreviation for Megahertz, a division of U.S. Robotics, IIRC
  * AN1 - Apple Newton, first product?
  * 24 - data speed was 2400bps
  * F - supports fax