[NTLK] Museum of Failure as Journalists

Sonny Hung sonnyhung at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 07:01:46 PST 2024

> > I am done serving in the role of Apple Apologist.
> As am I. I just hate seeing inaccurate information persist.
> g.
> Grant Hutchinson
> NewtonTalk List Dad & Interweb Custodian

 I think the biggest inaccuracy for me lies at the feet of claims that
Newton died personally.
Though not fully fleshed out, I would like it denoted that Newton (IMO) as
Newton, Inc. did cease to exist.
However, Newton the technology and it's concept really ended up maturing to
New Hardware coming back to the market as iPhone and iPad (and the other
derivatives such as iPod Touch)
After finally locating evidence of Apple Devs giving the nod to Newton I'm
confident enough to infer that Newton evolved to the iPhone 2G and iPhone 4
prototypes. See my screenshots in my Flickr.

iPhone 2G Prototype_Apple Newton MessagePad 3000
https://flic.kr/p/2nvydCx

iPhone 4 Prototype - [Say hello to the Newton MessagePad 3000] [01.32.01]
https://flic.kr/p/2o7y7qc

It's my belief and contention that Newton made its reappearance as iPhone
and later in a larger format as iPad and concurrently as iPod Touch.
Maybe not with NewtonOS, but with iOS using a linux derivative (as Paul G
uyot <https://github.com/pguyot> did later when he released *Einstein
<https://github.com/pguyot/Einstein>.* *Hopefully my recollection of the
timeline is accurate.
But on New Hardware as we had hoped for. Of course there is the change and
transition from capacitive screen using a stylus to multitouch touchscreen.
All in all the iPhone nomenclature for me was a transition from the Newton
name.
Overall it was the natural developmental evolution of Newton becoming
iPhone as the Devs hinted in stating, '[Say hello to the Newton MessagePad
3000]' in the boot screens of the two prototypes referenced.
This is my conjecture and only Devs from Apple can really clarify why they
gave a nod and referenced Newton MessagePad 3000.

God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family