[NTLK] Progress report : Apple NCU on modern hardware, and question about file distribution

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Tue Apr 9 16:32:35 PDT 2024

Though I don't run UNNA anymore, I can safely say that there is no such
agreement.  All of Apple's Newton related software has essentially
become abandonware.  The exception has been the Newton OS ROMs, because
they contain certain piece of code that Apple still cared about, in an
intellectual property sense.

One being some of the QuickDraw algorithms which were covered by
patents, though that's probably no longer an issue - Apple donated the
source code to the Computer History Museum over a decade ago, and the
patents have likely long expired.

The other one is Larry Yaeger's "Rosetta" printed handwriting
recognition system, which later resurfaced in OS X as the Inkwell
handwriting recognition feature.

For many years, UNNA has hosted the NewtonDev HFS disk image that I put
together, which contains MPW and all of the Newton OS C++ developer
tools, debuggers, and driver development kit. I believe some of those
packages originally required people to sign an NDA with Apple.

TL;DR I wouldn't worry about it, but ultimately UNNA is run by Morgan
Aldridge now, so it's their call.

-V