[NTLK] Something interesting: LTT on youtube did a review/talk of the Newton

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Tue Sep 5 11:29:52 PDT 2023

Hello Everyone,
Something interesting crossed my feeds today, LTT a tech channel on youtube I have sometimes watched in the past came out with a video on the Newton and comparing it to the iPhone.  What I found most surprising is they didn't do much research at all (or enough before making the video).  Such as saying removing the batteries would kill the data even though they just mentioned a second before there was FLASH RAM lol.  Even more humorous they said "battery backed FLASH ram".  Um, there is no such thing.  If it is FLASH it is not dependent on battery, that is the whole point of FLASH.  Battery backed RAM on the other hand does go POOF without power.  The other funny thing is they actually HIGHLIGHT that it has a super capacitor on screen then continue to talk as if it had a battery that maintained the memory and it wouldn't likely still have a charge "So don't open the battery bank unless it is plugged into the wall.."  What? lol

Also right below what they highlighted ON SCREEN from the manual actually says: If you leave it without power for over an hour, you might have to reset the clock and calendar information. (aka date).  Really seems funny to me they are contradicting what they just highlighted in the manual.  The one guy even says "the internal battery, if there ever was one is completely dead".  Again another example of they have no real idea what they are talking about and they have a tech show.

To be fair, other information is accurate but the aspect of the memory and batteries is one huge glaring mistake I would think anyone researching would find out in few minutes.

Regardless, it is a humorous on several levels.  The reactions and eye rolling makes it worth watching once.  I will say they did put some corrections towards the end, but it could have been better.  But still, after this, I will have a hard time trusting what they display as "accurate" in their tech analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_e_zW8EXoY

-Dan