[NTLK] Shorted workflow to modern Mac

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sun Oct 29 18:21:29 PDT 2023

On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 09:42 Craig Bradley via NewtonTalk <
newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:

> I have been thinking about a portable writing machine and using my eMate
> seemed perfect for that. I have just recapped it, sourced a new battery and
> fixed the hinge issue.

Sweet! I just rebuilt my eMate's hinges, but haven't recapped it yet (no
signs of leaks, so far.)

The workflow I am currently testing has to do with my latest exploit for
> the blog. I will write about it more comprehensively once I get the
> workflow figured out. I managed to connect the eMate to wifi via a Farallon
> Skyline card and an original Apple Graphite Base Station. Once on my home
> AppleTalk network I can transfer NewtonWorks files to my SE/30, convert it
> to .txt with NCU and then put it in my home AppleShare server that my modem
> Mac can mount.
>
> Clearly that is a very convoluted and complicated workflow. I was
> wondering if there would be a more streamlined workflow. I have been able
> to connect the eMate to my Mac Studio with NCX and a USB to serial cable
> but I couldn’t find a way to extract the NewtonWorks document as text.

Unfortunately, it's been a very long time since I transferred data to/from
a modern Mac. I used to route data from my MP2100 via Bluetooth using
Eckhart Köppen's Neo[0] & Nitro[1]. I know that Neo can be used over
TCP/IP, but I haven't checked to see if there's an OBEX client for macOS
these days.

Additionally, I don't quite remember if Works is more limited with regards
to routing its various document formats, but it might be. It's worth trying
Notes and seeing if that's easier to route.

[0] https://40hz.org/Pages/newton/packages/neo/
[1] https://40hz.org/Pages/newton/packages/nitro/