[NTLK] The elusive 11MB MessagePad memory upgrade

Matthias Melcher m.melcher at robowerk.de
Tue Oct 24 15:08:38 PDT 2023

> On Oct 24, 2023, at 23:48, Grant Hutchinson via NewtonTalk <newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:
>
>>> Good catch on the non-standard 2.1 ROM. Worth dumping the ROM,
>>> just in case? (I suspect you may have already done so.)
>>
>> Oh, yes! Please dump the ROM.
>
> I have not dumped the ROM yet!
>
> Please refresh my memory ... what the easiest (or best) way to do this?
>
> I don’t really want to install a bunch of packages on this DVT.
>
> Is a serial connection and then running Hammer or NewtsBug under Classic the way to go?

Install Hammer in a Classic environment. Connect via serial. Some very small tool must be installed on the Newton. TMChooser  was the name I believe.

Main Menu [File]>[Save Memory...]. A dialog pops up. Choose a filename. "Start Address:" is 00000000, "Limit:" is 00800000. "Save" and wait along time.