[NTLK] Beaming Packages? NCX to 1.x devices?

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Sat Oct 21 14:58:40 PDT 2023

On 10/21/2023 5:12 PM, Patrick Ketelaar via NewtonTalk wrote:
> Can you beam packages from 2.x to 1.x? I can’t seem to do so successfully.
>
> Or better yet, is anyone successful at loading packages over serial to 1.x devices from NCX 3? I can’t get them to talk. I think the baud rate is too high (set to 38400) but I can’t lower it for 1.x devices. I’ve followed the directions, select Newton 1, select the package, then connect from the newton, but nothing.
>
> Any ideas?

It has been a while but I seem to recall I did beam packages several between a 2100 and a 130.  BUT one thing to be certain of is the package is for a 1.x device.  Also, don't put them too close either, a little distance sometimes make a huge difference.  Another tip is in prefs to put both devices on auto receive beaming.  But don't leave it that way long term as it tends to drain the battery as the Newt will check for beams on a regular basis if on automatic even if asleep.

As for NCX I never used that I can't say, but there is a package to give you different (slower) baud rates on the Newton, I forget what it is called off the top of my head though.  I am sure others with a lot of Mac experience can advise you better, but I don't think 38400 is too high in general with a Mac etc.  Windows tended to be more fussy but even then I used to connect to 56k speeds (inside a Windows 98 emulation) with good reliability.

-Dan