[NTLK] eMate hinge stiffness

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Tue Oct 10 09:41:50 PDT 2023

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 11:26 AM Craig Bradley via NewtonTalk <
newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:

> My eMate hinges have all of a sudden gotten very stiff to a point I feel
> like I am going to break something lifting the lid.
>
> Is this a known issue and is there anything I can do about it?

This is a known issue with the eMate hinges when the lubrication dries out.
If not addressed, it will cause the hinge tension springs to break and
puncture the ribbon cable for the display.

The Newton FAQ covers the issue and repair here:

<http://newtonfaq.com/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIC8>

I hope that helps! (I'm in the midst of rebuilding my eMate after
rebuilding the hinges.)

--
Morgan
---