[NTLK] Newton 2100 won't power on

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 2 14:26:59 PDT 2023

Hi Christian,

Examining a circuit board without knowledge of those things is a lot like trying to read a foreign language like Spanish with no knowledge of the vocabulary. You might recognize a few words that resemble their English counterparts, but overall it is a lost cause. Applying this analogy to the Newton, you might be lucky enough to spot obviously burned or damaged components (which would ultimately be UNlucky), but other than that it probably won’t tell you much. I know because I have studied circuit boards over the years and spent quite a bit of time trying to find whatever issue is causing the problem. Even seasoned professionals (which I am not) might have a hard time deciphering it. That’s why there’s test equipment.

Much digital ink has been written over the years on NewtonTalk over reviving a dead Newton. Much of that involves resuscitating one that worked before and now somehow does not, which is not your present issue. The fix is to remove all power—batteries and AC adapter—from it and let it sit for several hours, then connect power and it often will now power up. In your case, try plugging in the adapter for say 15-30 minutes, then removing the battery and adapter and trying that method. Likely it will not work, it is seems there is another more serious issue, but it is a free fix and what do you to have to lose by trying it?

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 11