[NTLK] More Rare-ish Newton Stuff

Victor Rehorst victor at chuma.org
Wed Nov 8 15:55:39 PST 2023

They are one and the same.  I just went on a "brief" (2 hour)
archaeological expedition into my email history to confirm what
happened. The original driver was announced on-list:

https://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=105538458228826&w=2

At the time, many folks were picking up folding keyboards for
Palm/Handsprings very cheaply, and adapting them for the Newton. At the
same time, some of these barcode wands changing hands and I purchased
one, but people had no way to use them outside of the specific Newton
apps that expected them to be connected.  Daniel wrote a Newton OS
driver for the keyboard, and I asked him if I could use his driver as a
basis to write one for the InPath.  He obliged and sent me the source code.

I have an email where Daniel emailed me the second version of the driver
and the WinNTK source, but I can't recall what changes were made, or why
I didn't do them myself. That may have been discussed in some ICQ chats
which are long, long gone.

Even more information I found in my email:

- The InPath wands are rebadged or customized versions of the HP
SmartWand 8000 series - probably the HPSW-8200.
- Apparently, I used to have the original manual for the InPath as well,
but glob knows if I know where it is.  I know that it has a bunch of
barcodes that can be scanned to configure the reader itself, which might
be useful to folks who want to reset theirs back to the default
settings.  And I can't find it anywhere online, nor the HP SmartWand
manual, so scanning your manual would be an opportunity to preserve this
documentation...

-V