[NTLK] UNNA Status [Was: New UNNA & mirre torrents]

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Thu Mar 16 09:20:03 PDT 2023

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 10:27 PM Morgan Aldridge
<morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 8:59 PM Morgan Aldridge
> <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 9:56 AM Grant Hutchinson via NewtonTalk
> > <newtontalk at newtontalk.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > I’ve been in contact with Morgan about the status of the UNNA site.
> > >
> > > It’s an ongoing issue with the dynamic DNS solution that was being used for his servers and is taking far more time to resolve than originally anticipated. He indicated that he might be able to fix the issue this weekend.
> >
> > Thank you for bringing this to my attention and bringing everyone into
> > the loop, Grant! Unfortunately, I didn't even realize it was down as
> > long as it was because it was working within my own network, then took
> > a while to determine why dynamic DNS wasn't working. (Ironically, my
> > dynamic DNS service expired because my IP address hasn't actually
> > changed in years. Doh!)
> >
> > I have made progress this weekend, but haven't yet completed all the
> > necessary software upgrades and dynamic DNS migrations. I'll let you
> > all know when it's back up and running.
>
> Due to some familial obligations last weekend, I wasn't able to make
> further progress, but this weekend I was able to pick things up where
> I left off. Unfortunately, while there's not much risk of shipfitters'
> disease on my part, I have uncovered some issues, including major
> performance issues on the virtual machine host that runs the UNNA
> server. I've worked on that today too, but haven't quite resolved it
> and it is slowing progress on addressing the original dynamic DNS
> issue. I'll see if I can find some hours during the week to work on
> this, otherwise it might have to wait until next weekend again.

The performance issues on the host that runs the UNNA virtual machine
turned out to be a failing hard drive. A couple weekends ago I was
able to source & replace the server hard drive, reinstall the OS, and
restore the VMs from backups. Since then, I've been working on
infrastructure updates related to migrating to a new dynamic DNS
service. That's still been a time consuming project, but I'm
continuing to make progress.

So, rest assured that the UNNA VM is up & running, but it's just not
quite publicly accessible yet.

Thank you all for your patience,

--
Morgan