[NTLK] Last attempt at ROMs for Einstein, I need your help

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Mon Aug 28 18:41:30 PDT 2023

I would as well, however I doubt it would do any good.  I have a strong suspicion that some of the tech (or at least concepts and possible patents, although I think those would have expired by now) were used in the iphone and other idevices.  If true, they would NEVER give any bits of the Newton out.

-Dan

On 8/28/2023 9:10 PM, Forrest wrote:
> I, too, would happily sign such a petition.
>
> Mahalo,
> Forrest
>
> Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 11
>
>> On Aug 28, 2023, at 4:25 PM, Matthew Kowalczyk via NewtonTalk  wrote:
>>
>>  I'd happily sign a list of petitioners for such a letter. ;0)
>>

>>     On Sunday, August 27, 2023 at 06:01:25 PM MDT, Alan Grassia wrote:
>>
>> Hello Newton Friends,
>>
>> It is an interesting question as to whether or not Apple would release the Newton (an eMate) ROMs or the Newton OS source code.
>>
>> I was trying to think of and example of Apple releasing the ROMs, OS, or application source code to the public.  The one example that I came up with was the release of the Lisa OS Software via the Computer History Museum (CHM).
>>
>> CHM’s Hansen Hsu has a 1/19/2023 curatorial insights blog post on the subject at:
>> https://computerhistory.org/blog/the-lisa-apples-most-influential-failure/
>>
>> The Apple Lisa software download page lists the Apple Academic License Agreement for Lisa OS Software v3.1 restrictions that one may not "redistribute, publish, sublicense, sell, rent or transfer the Apple Software.”  The Lisa OS software download page, including the agreement, can be found at:
>> https://info.computerhistory.org/apple-lisa-code
>>
>> Back in 2010, CHM, in partnership with Apple, released the MacPaint and QuickDraw source code (again, for non-commercial use.)
>> https://computerhistory.org/blog/macpaint-and-quickdraw-source-code/
>>
>> One possible approach to having a request for Newton ROMs or software released to the public could be to approach CHM to see if they could petition Apple for a release as part of their Art of Code program.
>>
>> To David’s point, there are likely many sticky legal issues at hand that would need review and sign-off.  Maybe a non-commerical use license could get around some of them.
>>
>> It would be nice getting the source to the Newton ROMs, but it seems like we’re still going to have to rely on pulling the software off ROM chips from devices we purchased first or second-hand.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan Grassia
*snip*