[NTLK] Bluetooth Landline Newton Fax Niagara

Noah Leon moosefuel at gmail.com
Tue May 31 06:52:15 PDT 2022

Hi all,

I recently purchased an XLink BT box, which converts my cell phone into a land line via Bluetooth. I bought it so I could use my old Alberta Government Telephone rotary phone. It works well for that purpose.

I wanted to try it with my Newton to see if I could use it to send a fax.

I connected my Newton -> Fax modem -> XLink -> iPhone and tried a fax number for the city of Niagara Falls (it was difficult to find a working fax number, but they still proudly advertise theirs), the opposing fax machine answers, there are brief introductions, but they are not able to connect successfully. Probably due to however they compress or modify the signal over the digital cellular network. Or else the relatively poor quality of the Bluetooth.

Before I give up, anything I should try (besides getting a real landline)?

noah