[NTLK] Power supply check method

Vladislav Korotnev vladkorotnev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:09:59 PDT 2022

Thank you Victor for checking how a normal one works. Good I didn't risk plugging it in
then.

I wonder what made a lot of my power supply units (somehow not PC built-in ones but
"power bricks") go bad over those 3 years of idle compared to the rest of their life —
I've already messed up an HP Omnibook 800 by blindly trying to power it on to get a bunch
of my stuff out and it went up in smoke. Further checking revealed the PSU oscillates
between +18V-+20V without load and up to +24V (sic!) when loaded while rated for +12V.

Or are they all just somehow the same age and got the capacitor issues at the same time?
:-)

Hopefully at least the one I have somewhere in cold storage still works. If anything
would buying an adjustable adapter and setting it to 7.5V help? (or maybe more and a buck
regulator circuit on top of that)