[NTLK] Einstein version 2022.4.17 ready for download, your input needed

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Wed Jul 6 12:17:40 PDT 2022

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 8:21 AM Matthias Melcher <m.melcher at robowerk.de> wrote:

> The FLTK version has a new dialog box for installing essential software from UNNA without any effort. See "Help -> Install Essentials.." in the main menu. The dialog box still contains the Y10k patch which is no longer needed, links to all the network enabler resources, and a very short list of software that I personally like (ViewFrame).
>
> Would you please add software suggestions where you feel that they are absolutely essential for someone who uses the Newton for the first time.

Huge thanks for this, Matthias! I've finally gotten around to building
& testing Einstein under OpenBSD and I love the ease of installing
prerequisites packages directly via Einstein.

My suggestions for essential packages would be:

IC/VC:
  - In addition to supporting importing/exporting Dates & Names, it
adds a "Put Away" option to InOut for packages that one has downloaded
via Courier (e.g. from UNNA)
  - <https://sourceforge.net/projects/n40hz/files/IC_VC/IC_VC-2.6/> (I
clearly need to get newer versions up on UNNA)

Kill Update:
  - Removes the "Update" option which tries to dial Apple for system patches
  - <http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/patches/killupdate.pkg>

Prefs Patch:
  - Fixes partially scrolled close button in Prefs
  - <http://mirrors.unna.org/www.softwarebueromueller.de/englisch/newton/ppatch/ppatch.pkg>

Daylight Savings:
  - Allows adjusting Daylight Saving settings in Prefs, which is
required since they've changed over the years
  - <http://mirrors.unna.org/www.softwarebueromueller.de/englisch/newton/daylight/daylight.pkg>

URL Helper:
  - Supports adding URLs to people & companies in Names
  - <http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/names_enhancements/URLHelper2.1/url-helper.pkg>

IO Select:
  - Adds "All" button to InOut
  - <http://mirrors.unna.org/www.softwarebueromueller.de/englisch/newton/ioselect/ioselect.pkg>

ED Select
  - Adds "All" button to the Extras drawer
  - <http://mirrors.unna.org/www.softwarebueromueller.de/englisch/newton/edselect/edselect.pkg>

--
Morgan
---