[NTLK] New owner of a MessagePad 130

Alan Grassia alan.grassia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 13:54:31 PST 2022

Hello Alec and congratulations on receiving your Newton MessagePad 130!

It's my understanding, after reviewing the Newton FAQ (https://newtonfaq.com/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIC), Newton OS 1.x and 2.x are Y2K compatible (https://support.apple.com/kb/TA38398?locale=en_CA).

You have no doubt been reading about the Year 2010 (Jan. 5, 2010) date bug (https://40hz.org/Pages/newton/hacking/newton-year-2010-problem/).  As far as I know, the patches that Eckhart Köppen wrote are only for Newton OS 2.1 devices.

I would imagine the next question would be whether the Newton MessagePad 130 can be upgraded to Newton OS 2.1.  After reading Apple's OS Versions & Updates page (https://support.apple.com/kb/TA35240?locale=en_US) it appears that Newton OS 2.0 is the final update for the MP 130.

I'm only a casual Newton user, having come to Newton just a few years ago and long after the Newton was cancelled.  Perhaps some of the folks around here who have a MP 130 can add any missing information here for context.

Cheers,
Alan Grassia

OMP, MP 2000, MP 2100, eMate 300

Website: http://blog.smartphonefanatics.com