[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 104, Issue 11

Doug Denby ddenby at rogers.com
Thu Aug 18 18:55:59 PDT 2022

On Aug 18, 2022, at 9:15 PM, M.D. S <mdsf001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Happy Anniversary Grant (as the current caretaker) and thanks to you and
> all those who have kept the idea and dream of the Newt going!
>
> Cheers!
>
> Mike
>
> PS in 1999 I was on deployment with the military with my trusty 2100 as my
> sidekick.

I concur with the thanks to Grant, and so many others over the decades of Newtonian Life.

In 1999, I travelled from our home near Toronto, Ontario, to Vancouver, Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia, Tasmania, Los Angles, giving daily updates via my Newton to a host of people, who probably got fed up hearing from me. The Newton modem never failed, as I travelled. All I had to do was find a land line and the appropriate local telephone number for AOL.

How much easier it would have been if the Newton had just incorporated a telephone, but at the time Satellite phones were very expensive.

We should all be thankful for the little steps, and slight missed steps in the travel into our current future.

I still have my original Sharp unit, which I prefer over the OMP. 120s, 130s, 2100s, and eMates are all a part of my collection along with several of the various connection cards, including one the that sends the Newton screen via VGA to TV and projectors.

 ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
Doug Denby