[NTLK] [OT] Extracting icons from Mac OS 9 applications

Vladislav Korotnev vladkorotnev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 08:09:46 PDT 2022

Hello list, hope everyone's been well these days

I've got some spare time on my hands and decided to go ahead with improving my old Mac OS
9 theme for Xfce4 (GTK 2).

However Mac OS 9 icons are pretty scarce online and don't really cover all the needs for
a complete theme.

Installing an emulated OS would be the easiest way to get all the icons I might need, but
exporting files into the Linux host might only be possible via a shared folder, which
creates AppleDouble (file and ._file pairs) entries.

In the ._file part I assume it will be a simple RSRC fork, however I haven't been able to
find any tool that can read them under Linux.

Does anyone know of any tool that could do the trick?
(Or, as a different approach, export the icons from a file into a set of PNGs within
MacOS 9)

Best regards,
Vladislav