[NTLK] [ANN] #newtontalk & #newtonscript IRC channels migrated from Freenode to Libera.chat

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri May 28 14:37:15 PDT 2021

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 4:49 PM Sylvain Pilet <sylvain at pilet.net> wrote:

> This reminds me that it is a shame that there is no (or no longer) IRC client for Newton supporting SSL. Even if Paul Guyot has managed to adapt mbedTLS 2.16.6 to Newton, for the moment no application has been adapted or written using this library.

It seems that Libera.chat still supports unencrypted connections (see
<https://libera.chat/guides/connect>). I did a quick test with
ChatBuddy 1.6 and was able to connect to the network, but ChatBuddy
never detected that it had joined the channel, even when I could see
the user in the channel from my other client. So close!

That said, there are lots of terminal-based IRC clients that one could
connect to via PT100 on macOS, Linux, BSD, etc. Or, maybe it's time
for us to write a new IRC client that can optionally use mbedTLS. :)

> If there was a #newtonFR channel, I might be able to help, but in English, I am and remain a quiche!

You either have some assistance with your written English or your
abilities are much better than you imagine. My French is non-existent,
unfortunately.

--
Morgan
---