[NTLK] [ANN] Newton FAQ - May 15th, 2021 Update

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Sat May 15 19:06:36 PDT 2021

> On May 15, 2021, at 5:28 PM, Forrest Buffenmyer <newton_phoenix at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> As I have some free time these days, I would consider volunteering for the task of setting up and running Couch Fire to provide those listings, as a service to the Newton community. And to myself—I’m not much of a TV watcher, and that’s partly because I don’t want to take the time to find/discover what’s on.
>
> That definitely looks like some kind of really cool database they’ve got set up.

So, the listing updates were delivered by email as a Newton package. I wonder if anyone out there might still have one of those packages installed on a device somewhere. It might be something that could be decompiled or reverse engineered.

From the Tempest Productions site:

“Couch Fire has two pieces. The first part is a one year subscription to the latest TV schedules. You receive them just like a normal magazine except that they arrive via email rather than regular mail. The weekly updates have all the channels that you requested. They are compressed and stored in a Newton package. Just install (or download) the update to your Newton using you favorite connection software, like the Newton Backup Utilities that came with your Newton.”

<https://web.archive.org/web/19981207023225/http://www.tempestprod.com:80/couchFire.html>

g.