[NTLK] eMate 300 Repair Question - Washers vs New Spring?

Doug ispinn at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:33:39 PDT 2021

>    (3) Replacing with a
>continuous spring is best to
>eliminate the problem.

I disagree. Any manufacturing-physics experts correct me, but the precision
needed for a single, solid piece spring would be too difficult to achieve.
The high tensions involved make it even harder.

The two spring pieces, as is, interact individually along key planes,
independent of each other, and have some wiggle room, when lubricated
properly, to work correctly.

Making them one piece, confining and eliminating some of that previously
mentioned wiggle room--and adding significant, additional
restrictions--would make the engineering requirements too exacting, too
precise, and too hard to maintain their tolerances during the manufacturing
process. The single part becomes too impossible to make, although it's the
best *in theory.*

Apple IMHO, thought this through. Two piece springs is best. They just
didn't put enough thought into how to keep them from walking, or that
they'd eventually walk at all.

Doug