[NTLK] I have a question about the way the eMate handles

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Wed Mar 31 20:40:41 PDT 2021

In general, the charging systems is the same.  The difference is it has a light and contacts on the bottom to allow for dock charging (some schools apparently had a rack where you could put a bunch of them on to charge at once).  But the circuity is the same, if I remember right.

I have ran into this before.  You see if the newton (eMate in this case) tries to charge the battery and it doesn't take the charge at a quick enough rate, it will call it "deep toast" and stop charging.  Sometimes various things will make the newt try to charge the battery again.  Sometimes it will succeed and charge the battery.  All will be fine unless the battery gets to 0% again or close to it, then not want to charge.

A pressing the reset button on the bottom will often get a stubborn battery to charge again.  Not always but try it a few times and usually it works unless the battery is really bad.  Sometimes a day it won't want to, then the next day it will and work fine for quite a while.  Also sometimes just leaving it plugged in, it might trickle charge it enough to get the level high enough where the battery starts to charge normally.

In short the battery is in the "grey" zone.  Keep it charged and it might work for quite a while.  Also Ni-Mh CAN get a memory effect.  I don't care what the promotional info says, they can.  And a full discharge is advisable at times.  They aren't near as likely as Ni-Cad but they still can if you do enough shallow charges.  I have had enough of them to know.  On the good side, one deep discharge or two can break the memory unlike Ni-Cad which is much more difficult.

-Dan