[NTLK] Writing

Michael Sheflin sheflinm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 09:23:35 PDT 2021

That's probably not true.  Most stores have stopped accepting checks in the
US, but they're still a form of tender:

I'm an attorney.  I recently had to open an IOLTA-compliant trust account
in New Jersey.  To access that account, I have to physically appear in
person and risk my life to deposit or withdraw tiny sums of money.  But I'm
required to have the account.  To deposit my first $100, rather than going
to the bank.

I don't think appearing at a bank is higher tech than writing a cheque...
And, it looks like the reason cheques aren't used in Germany is not to
related to hi-techiness (
https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tourism/banks-money/#:~:text=Unlike%20Americans%20(and%20the%20French,name%20of%20the%20account%20holder.)
.