[NTLK] The piMate 300

Iain Billington iain at mosphere.net
Fri Mar 19 19:40:33 PDT 2021

Now I’m super interested in how to drive the LCD from a Pi.
I was planning on using a Teensy ++ for the keyboard matrix (and also slide potentiometers for the brightness and volume switches) but thinking it through, we could potentially just use the Pi itself to handle the keyboard matrix on its IO pins and maybe a shift register as there are a lot of lines. I’ve managed to get some flex connectors that match the eMate. The weird thing is that row ribbon and the column ribbons are upside down from each other, no big deal but it does take up a little more space. For the screen I have a dreamscreen 7” 12V HDMI display which is pretty close in dimensions but not quite tall enough. An e-ink display could be nice if it proves impossible to drive the actual eMate LCD and has the right aspect ratio.

Iain