[NTLK] What do you consider essential packages for eMate?

Forrest Buffenmyer newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 18 14:43:39 PDT 2021

Chris and Andre:

You need to get the Hinge Repair done, and very soon. In fact, I would STRONGLY urge NOT USING the eMate until it is completed.

Referring to a post last week—I just got an eMate from eBay for only $55! It was untested, as the seller did not have a power supply to boot it up. Before buying I carefully zoomed in on the pictures of both the exterior and interior—nearly flawless. Still, looks only count for so much, if it doesn’t work it’s a pretty paperweight, right?

I gambled and made the purchase. When it arrived I connected it to a Newton power supply—it started right up, no marks on the screen, darned near perfection!

I thought to myself, “Well, I can enjoy this for a little while, right, before I tear it down for the Hinge Repair?”

“NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!” Wisely I decided against that, and disassembled it a few days ago, almost immediately after receiving it. IT’S A GOOD THING I DID. There was the equivalent of a ticking time bomb inside. One of the springs had worked itself loose and would soon, I am certain, pierce the ribbon cable (I mean, it was sitting right there against it.) I likely caught it just in time. After about 2 hours of work—taking my time—both my hinge repairs are done, and will not rear its ugly head again.

Recall that these are 20+ year old machines. That grease is getting stiffer and stiffer, which causes (and forces) the spring ends to work themselves loose. I would not trust one EVEN SEALED IN AN UNOPENED BOX to not soon work itself loose. (It’s also noteworthy that only the LEFT spring threatens the display cable—but why not do both springs?)

For me at least, it was EXTRAORDINARILY simple. There are eMate disassembly instructions on Frank’s site, https://www.pda-soft.de/ , as well as Joel Sciamma’s excellent Inventor’s Emporium site: http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html . (The latter is also available through Frank’s site.

I read through Joel’s instructions on how to repair a damaged ribbon cable. UUUUGGGHHHH. I’ve done repairs like that before many times and would NOT want to attempt any more, especially when such repair can be avoided with some easy preventative maintenance.

I don’t which to step on anyone’s toes, here, but for anyone in the US who does not want to ship their eMate off to Europe so Frank could fix it—I might be persuaded to complete the spring repair for you. I live in Arizona, and you would—as Frank does—be charged for only the shipping cost, and perhaps a small fee for time and expenses: probably less than $10 USD.

I WOULD STILL, IF POSSIBLE, URGE that you send it to Frank (his limited time permitting), as he is truly the Edward Scissorhands of Newton/eMate repair. And, I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.

BUT—please, GET IT DONE. Somehow. REALLY.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my iPad Pro 9.7"