[NTLK] Einstein 2020.4.13 released for MacOS, Windows, and Linux

Ionos: robowerk.de m.melcher at robowerk.de
Sun Mar 14 16:56:47 PDT 2021

tl;dr

Einstein 2020.4.13 is now on http://messagepad.org/Newton_Installs.html

Hi peeps,

Einstein 2020.4.13 adds PCMCIA Flash Card support to Einstein. New Flash
Cards can be generated and managed using the Settings panel, and can be
added to a list of available PC Cards.

It is possible to download PC Cards from a physical device and add them
to Einstein, but the process is tedious, and not all FLash cards may be
supported.

No ROM Cards yet.

Insert or eject a Flash Card by clicking on the upper or lower half of
the PC Card button. The pulldown menu lists all available cards. Cards
can be marked the remain inserted through Einstein restarts.

::::

  - The Network code should work much better now, but incoming TCP/IP
connections are still not supported.
  - Support for the French Watson ROM.
  - Fixed sound on Windows (was only in the left speaker).
  - Copying text to the Newton Clipboard (long tap, drag to the top
left) now also copies the text to the hot clipboard (use Ctrl-V to
paste), MP2x00 US version only.

::::

This version of Einstein merges my changes over an entire year back into
Paul's code. This is great, because all new features written by Paul are
now also available on the FLTK version. Besides insider features and bug
fixes, there is now support for the Watson ROM!

But this also has a great risk. Merging always introduces bugs, no
matter how careful developers are. Please backup your Flash RAM files
and whatever else you feel is important. Please verify that the Network
is working well, and serial port emulation still works for you, and alll
other features that you regularly use.

::::

Einstein 2020.4.13 is now available in four version on
http://messagepad.org/Newton_Installs.html

::::

You can find FLTK based version for the desktop systems, and a new/old
"native" version for MacOS. The native version does not use FLTK for the
user interface and hence misses more complex UI stuff like PCMCIA Linear
Flash Card support and the Toolbox, but uses the original user interface
that Paul developed. Internally, the emulators all identical!

The iOS version will need a few corrections, and if someone would like
to try to get it to work, I will happily publish the build instructions
on GitHub and MessagePad.org .

The Android version is next on my Todo list. There is a good chance you
will be able to download a new version in a week or two.

I have not tested building on RaspberryPi yet, but there is no
fundamental reason for it not to work.

I have not tried to build the MacOS M1 version yet (well, I don't have a
machine to test it on anyway), but I'll happily add that feature if
anyone wants to try it.

Both platforms, MacOS/M1 and RasPi, use a superset of the Newton CPU
command set. Many Android devices do too. If someone is brave enough,
the JIT emulator has been prepared for this case and a specialized JIT
emulator could be written for Einstein on ARM CPUs that should run
probably twice as fast.