[NTLK] Getting Started Card Mystery - The Sequel

Alan Grassia alan.grassia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 16:45:28 PDT 2021

Hello Matej and Newton Friends,

Thanks for the tip.  I will check out Jean-Christophe Bousson's FAQ.  Thanks for mirroring it.  I don't believe that I have seen this document yet.  I will download a copy for future reference.

Based on what Bousson has compiled there about the Newton OS 1.01 update and the Getting Started Card, it sure does seem like that is the fix for my problem.

I recently got my battery situation straightened out, so I should be good for a while.  I still need to track down a 1MB or 2MB Apple backup card for the long term.

The problem that I seem to be having now is getting the OMP with Newton OS 1.00 to actually *connect* with something.  I have NCX 3.0.2's Newton 1 menu set to Sync, but it won't connect.  Same deal with NCK on my OS 9 G4.  I'll have to keep playing with it.

Cheers,
Alan Grassia

-------------------------------
OMP, MP 2000, MP 2100, eMate 300

On 7/15/21, 1:30 AM, "NewtonTalk on behalf of Matej Horvat" <newtontalk-bounces at newtontalk.net on behalf of matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si> wrote:

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 03:48:11 +0200, Alan Grassia <alan.grassia at gmail.com>
    wrote:

    > I recently refurbished a Newton OMP H1000 with Newton OS 1.00
    > installed.  I have also acquired a used Newton Getting Started card
    > (dated 1993 with part number 649-0020-A).  The card appears to be in
    > excellent physical condition (no bends, dents, or other marks).  There
    > is no write-protect switch on the card.
    >
    > When I insert the card into my refurbished Newton OMP / H1000, I get a
    > slip on the Newton that reads:
    >
    > “The card you inserted cannot be read.  Do you want to completely erase
    > this card?”
    > (Erase) (X)

    Maybe OS 1.00 is the problem. See point 3.3 of this FAQ (not mine, I'm
    just mirroring it):

    http://matejhorvat.si/en/newton/nwtfaq1x.txt

    "1.01: Fixed incompatibility with Getting Started Card."

    Also according to that FAQ, "all the MessagePads shipped at MacWorld
    Boston had 1.02 (in other words, they started there)".

    Note that on MP110 and older, patches are not permanent because these
    devices use SRAM instead of flash memory, so all data is lost if all
    batteries are empty or missing. This is how yours got downgraded.

    The last patch for ROM 1.00 is 1.05:

    http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/SystemPatches/english/OMP/OS1.05.pkg