[NTLK] [ADMIN] Happy New Year! Happy New Server!

Vladislav Korotnev vladkorotnev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:54:40 PST 2021

Sorry to hijack the conversation, but this is something that strikes
close to home.

I kind of remember waiting for Leopard as something miraculous — the
new design, even the box itself was mesmerizing. Snow Leo was pretty
"how ya doin'", a minor update, but there were other things — Xcode 4
for one thing. Lion was pretty hyping, even Mountain Lion with it's
built in Growl clone, and Mavericks with the tags and other
integrations.

And then it all started going downhill, not sure if "it" being my
perception or the actual quality of the software — to the point I even
reverted to using a G4 with Tiger as my main computer in 2014. Even
there, back in the "comfort zone", the trend was noticeable.

I couldn't use iChat anymore, because AOL died off and all other major
platforms I was on decided supporting XMPP leeches off their sweet ad
display revenue. Reeder wasn't an option because Google decided to
shut down Reader, because once again — you can't control the user and
show them ads if they are using a custom API-based client.

These days I have a Windows laptop (let alone, a "gaming" one, yuck! —
not too bad looking in terms of exterior compared to the 2012 Macbooks
though) for the nature of work I do on a daily basis. Somehow I even
taught it not to install bloatware and updates when I don't want it
to! Still starts to whine whenever I don't touch the mouse or keyboard
for half an hour, though.

But for the time when I need some rest, I've found an island of
comfort in another machine — a Thinkpad X220 tablet with Linux.
Configured it to look like Mac OS 9 with Platinum and the Charcoal
font, top bar menu, Platinum sounds, a real bootscreen even (shameless
plugging: https://github.com/vladkorotnev/System8).
Wrote a bunch of scripts to connect all the media platforms I use over
RSS into Liferea, rebuilding everything with GTK2 to avoid the
non-platinum looks, Pale Moon and Claws Mail styled as OS 9 era
Netscape.
Youtube videos end up in RSS, opening any videos automatically pauses
music like on the iPhone. Menus click and pop like in the old days,
fonts aren't blurred and are easy to read. Full control over
everything that happens is in my hands, not whoever designed the
OS/Website/Platform.

It's a huge mess of scripts, took a few months to get right, and for
sure, one day code rot will kill it all — but for now, it's a great
reminder of how things could have gone if computers were still used to
*solve problems*, not *make apps*.

Maybe someday I'll do a writeup on how to set it up if there's enough
demand, but it's clearly not for the faint-hearted :/

--
// Ak.R.

iOS/Mac/Windows & Web developer
Vaporwave/ambient producer, sound/video engineer

Genjitsu Gadget Lab Member 001
http://genjit.su
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fgenjit.su&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE8x1vuqw3E4Hjfe9lA59Q23-z36Q>