[NTLK] MP 2X00: A new kind of Duracell battery?

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 28 14:26:59 PDT 2021

Christian:

I agree with Dan, the only consideration should be size. I have found that the Amazon ones I mentioned fit well. I have been using them for about 2 years now and have no complaints. They are of the Enerloop technology; for under $18US (last I checked) you received 8 to a package. This allows you to keep 4 on the charger at all times—when the Newt’s batteries run low, swap them out. Always a fresh set available!

Also to echo Dan, Nick’s SoftCharge is a kind of godsend. It allows you to properly calibrate the Newt’s battery meter, which eliminates false readings. This is a problem without the app, as it does not show a full charge accurately and the battery level will be shown at say 25%, and then suddenly the unit will go dead.

Dan:

Yes, this recent T-Mobile hack has caused mush distress. While the details and implications are too much for here, let’s just say that there is some hand-wringing over apps sharing even the limited information that Apple allows, and how that could have been compromised. I could not help but think of the Newton and its soups, over and over, and I agree with your assessment. Such a data structure could never exist now. One hack and you would have everything.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 11