[NTLK] Newton Toolkit version: 1.6.4GM

Matej Horvat matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si
Sat Apr 10 08:12:20 PDT 2021

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 17:16:51 +0200, Morgan Aldridge
<morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

> I am running the NewtonDev image
> (<http://www.unna.org/unna/development/NewtonDev>) in BasiliskII and
> both Finder and NTK just say 1.6.4. I thought it had beta 3 installed,
> but looking at the README again, it says "NTK 1.6.4 with additions by
> Tactile Systems and Lunatech." I'm not sure exactly what that means or
> what the additions are.

As far as I know, 1.6.4 is the last Macintosh version, and if I understand
Apple's versioning scheme (at the time) correctly, 1.6.4b3 is the third
beta version of what later became the released version 1.6.4 (the "golden
master").

The Tactile Systems and Lunatech additions on that image are various
scripts in the GlobalData file (in the same folder as NTK). Whether they
are useful or not is personal preference, but they can also serve as a
starting point for one's own customizations. (How that works is documented
in the Macintosh NTK manual, but not in the Windows NTK manual. The
Windows version can be customized similarly, but the file is called
GlblData.f.)