[NTLK] Introduction and a Question

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 8 11:40:19 PDT 2021

The last time I tried to use a Keyspan serial adapter—several years ago, with MacOS 10.11 El Capitan—my MBP went into a Kernel Panic. If you’ve ever experienced one, the first time, “panic” is a good word, because I was afraid I had somehow damaged my machine, perhaps irreparably. After I realized it was not that serious, I tried again—several times—with the same result, no matter which of the 2 ports I tried (it’s a USA 28X-B). However, recently, with Catalina, it simply failed to work or do anything.

When Apple killed the Sync capability about 10 years ago, that was the end of anything like NCX’s functional synchronizing with the Newton. After many hours and much research on the Internet I too determined that Claris’ ancient Organizer program was one of if not the best choice. Sadly, you need an older Mac to utilize it. As mentioned before, my SE/30 works splendidly with my MP2100, thanks to Organizer.

Pawel has shown several ways to connect the Newton other than through a serial connection. For example, it’s possible to use Bluetooth to connect a Newton to a modern Mac. He has created a YouTube video: https://youtu.be/Zr1o4b_Z6GY , which better details this option.

Mahalo,
Forrest

Sent from my T-Mobile iPhone 11